Sciatica Treatment From Keegan Chiropractic
Sciatica is a medical condition marked by pain radiating along the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the longest and largest nerve in the body, extending from the lower back to the legs and buttocks. This nerve works to provide sensation to the feet. The onset of sciatica can significantly lower a person's quality of life.
Symptoms of Sciatica
This condition can vary from infrequent bursts to long periods of pain. Common symptoms of sciatica include lower back pain, leg pain, weakness, tingling, and numbness. People over the age of 40 are more likely to develop sciatica. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, pay a visit to a healthcare provider and report these symptoms.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica is usually the symptom of a bigger underlying medical problem. Medical experts recommend that you seek treatment for sciatica just in case the underlying problem is something more serious. Common causes of sciatica include:
- Disc herniation or degenerative disc disease. A slipped disc is the most common reason for sciatica, seen in about 90% of cases. Disc herniation will result in damage and swelling around the surrounding tissue of the spine, possibly leading to sciatica.
- Spinal stenosis or the narrowing of the spine. When the spinal column narrows, the sciatic nerve roots may become compressed.
- A pinched nerve, also known as radiculopathy. This disease begins at the root of a nerve, radiating outward. When radicular pain occurs in the lower portion of the spine, it becomes sciatica.
- Piriformis syndrome. The piriformis is a muscle that can place pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Spondylolisthesis or the displacement of one of the spine's vertebrae.
- Pregnancy. A fetus can press onto the mother's sciatic nerve, especially when the mother is sitting down.
- Tumors near the spinal cords nerve roots.
- Cauda equine syndrome, also known as CES. The cauda equine is a bundle of nerves near the end of the spinal cord.
How a Chiropractor Can Help
Sciatica can be effectively managed and treated with chiropractic care. Chiropractic treatment may include physical therapy, massage therapy, spinal decompression, spinal readjustment, and postural correction. A chiropractic treatment plan is usually personalized in order to meet the patient's individual needs.
Contact Our Local Chiropractor Today
Think that you might have sciatica? Keegan Chiropractic can help. We are a sports & wellness clinic serving the people of Ashburn, Virginia. You can tell us about the medical history and symptoms of your condition, and we'll do our best in tackling sciatica is a safe and efficient manner. To learn more about how Keegan Chiropractic treats sciatica, please call at 703-858-3500.